Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Do. Cathy and Eric.

Matunuk, RI

I'm listening to Ray LaMontagne's " You are the Best Thing" for inspiration today. It just makes me want to dance...in the kitchen.

I love weddings. Who knew?! I spent a good portion of my childhood participating in them, which did not contribute to my love for them. Horrid little frilly, floral dresses, baby's breath in my hair, walking down the aisle with a white wicker basket, an empty one at that, NO flowers to throw and make the moment even remotely interesting. I wanted to run down the aisle like I was being introduced at the NCAA woman's basketball final 4. I remember thinking if this were MY wedding the kids could wear whatever they want, no baskets, and NO baby's breath. period.

I gradually came around. Once I got to participate in the "behind the scenes" aspect of weddings, I realized how much meticulous planning went into it. Even down to the baby's breath. The first wedding I ever photographed was an eye-opener to say the least. I fell in love with photographing people. Especially candid shots.

Emotion.
I could feel it in every breath of the Bride and Groom, and it was intoxicating. It filtered out into every guest, and they felt it to. One look, one lift of the eyebrow sent a tizzy of impassioned emotion through my lens. It buzzed and hummed like electricity and spread like wild fire. By the end of the ceremony I was wiping away tears, I couldn't see through the view finder! ohh I was a mess.

Now, before this wedding I thought I was pretty good at capturing emotional events and moments...That was before I shot Cathy and Eric. Since then, my photography has changed. I view the world a little differently (no tears to distort the view this time). I look for the emotion in all things. Whether it is someone expressing a certain feeling or what the subject strikes in me. A person, a child, an inanimate object can enchant the mind, almost bewitch it with one click of the shutter. I want you to look at my photographs and feel as though you were there. Or that it evoked some kind of feeling; at the surface or dark and long buried. At least that's the goal.


Thanks and big love to Cathy and Eric. Words don't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment