Monday, March 15, 2010

Faithful Companions.


Charleston, SC


I recently learned of a friend who's dog suddenly passed. She was heartbroken. And is still struggling with the loss.

I always wanted a dog. I thought they were cute, snuggled with you when you were lonely, followed your every command, played fetch...etc. Faultless beings.

ohhh the mind of a child. so naive and innocent.
Once I realized the amount of time and effort that was required of a dog owner, I recanted my early childhood thoughts. Or reassessed them rather. I would liken the responsibility to having children; and I am illequiped for that stage of life. They pee, they poop, they bark when their hungry or when every single car passes by the window. They have to be scolded, rewarded...this already sounds exhausting. A close friend coined the ingenious phrase, "the pet and push". The gentle gliding of the hand over the dog's backside, while gently, but firmly, pushing the dog as far away as possible, without making it painfully obvious what you are trying to do. *insert fake, but believeable, smile here*.
Now, I have friends who have dogs; love dogs. Its perfect. I get to be like the "cool Aunt" or the fun older sister. I let them have extra treats and they get sit on the couch with me. And then let them scurry off with their rightful owner; my dog-fix acheived.
I still don't own a dog. Yet, I'm around them enough to respect, feel and understand the love the owner has for their faithful compainion.

I can only imagine my poor friends anguish. Every dog owner I know is used to the responsibilties of being a "Mom" or "Dad". But somewhere along the line it has become more than just the chores of feed, walk, poop, sleep, repeat. There is a unfathomable bond. And if you're the close friend, like me, a similar bond is formed. I have become the giver of treats at their best moments and the stern face for their "bad dog" moments. I experience genuine heartfelt feelings of sorrow when it comes to loss of a good dog. a good friend. Though, they pale in comparrison.
In the spirit of good dogs everywhere, and especially to Rhonda, here are just a few companions that make life a little more tolerable.










1 comment:

  1. Woah! "Pet and push"! I'm on a blog- am I sort of famous now?!?!?!
    Haha :)

    ReplyDelete