Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bring me that Horizon.

Blanketed by humidity, its easy to move a little bit slower in Charleston in June. It happens every year. An unstoppable shroud of thickness, unshakable unless you're either by the beach or in a well air conditioned home. But when your air conditioner dies and you are forced to buy 6 fans to move hot air around your house, drastic measures need to be taken. I would

highly recommend a Slip 'N' Slide or running through a sprinkler, a favorite childhood past time of mine.

If there were a soundtrack to my life, summertime in Charleston would always be a combination of Jazz and the latest rock/hip-hop to come out of 95sx radio. They become the perfect mesh of what it means to be tortured by heat desperate for shade under a Live Oak and in the dead center of a city booming with personality. The whole idea of summer is to relax, no? Each year marks a different stage of relaxation...going from College summer months, to 2 weeks vacation at a 9 to 5 job, or rearranging your entire hospital work schedule and swing 10 days off in a row, taking only 12 hours of vacation time. Check and double check. I have found myself traveling again, I will be more specific in a few weeks when I have photographic evidence and stories to tell. But for now, the sweet sounds of Nina Simone serenade my coffee shop friends and I. For I am chasing the horizon once again. I have acquired enemies of my traveling life lately. I wish I could take you all with me! The only excuse can offer is pure luck and good fortune that I am able to travel the way that I do. I had a friend once that said he would wake up some days and not know what country he was in. I was jealous beyond belief and longed for such a day to come. I cannot say I travel to the extent of my friend, but sometimes I do have to stop and pinch myself when I am watching the sunrise in Ireland, and then later that day watch it set in Madrid....


You hate me don't you? Its ok, I've accepted it...


For now I'll put a stamp my internal passport and cross off a few things from my bucket list, I am still dying to cross off #57, throw a good punch to someone who deserves it. There has to be SOMEONE out there deserving of my left hook. My father would be proud, he's probably laughing at me now. The most terrifying and exhilarating part of travel for me is who I will meet. I have met some of the most fascinating people on AIRPLANES, life long friends in fact, brought together over a mistaken flight change and our accidental first class seats. I have also met characters that could be behind the mask in the "Saw" movies; twisted and dark. The kind of people you walk, and definitley run in the other direction from. And yet I feel drawn to the danger, call it stupidity if you'd like but I'm a feeler. I am excited to see whats behind the mask, whats beneath the surface, whats behind door number one?! If I feel like picking up the crack addict hitch-hiker, I will. I felt it necessary to semi-rescue him from the drug deal gone bad situation he had found himself in. It worked out in the end.So, you can only imagine what I am thinking as I am moments away from embarking on my newest summertime adventure.
Just don't confuse my travel thoughts with recklessness. It may not put my mother at ease, but I am by no means gallavanting the country trying to rescue possibly dangerous criminals from the streets they walk on, I simply act with feelings, and if that means a rescue or a left hook thats fine by me. Bring it on, just like that horizon line.

1 comment: