Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Rhode Home.

Charleston, South Carolina.
Song of the Day: Bright side of the Road. - Van Morrison.


1,635 miles.
5 detours.
2 unexpected stops.
1 oil change.
12 Adele songs...on repeat.
351 photographs.
4 friends.
4 family.






Geographically speaking, the road home is self-explanatory. Common sense tells me that South is the general direction to get me where I need to go. Then bank left somewhere outside Georgia and casually coast into my Carolina state of mind. Calculate in the traffic in various cities at particular hours of the day and you have the potential for road rage, but that comes with the territory. I have come to flat out worship my navigational app on my cell phone. It is the sole reason I was able to turn down any enticing road in any given state and still find my way with little difficulty, back to the highways. I am still thankful I was taught how to read a map and ask for directions. While driving through the back roads, nearly teetering off the edge of a mountain, reception is shall we say..."if-y". ( sorry Mom.)


However, common sense also tells you something else....despite your valiant efforts to remain unchanged and "the same" as you were; to resist, life has other plans. And there is no telling what the pathways of the heart will do to the journey home. You don't know what is packed inside the suitcase of the heart. The most abrupt and sometimes shocking discovery of your "baggage" so to speak is to spend an incredible amount of time, with yourself. Like...a road trip for example. Hours on top of hours spent doing nothing but driving and having total control of the seat warmers, the radio stations, the kind of candy you buy at the gas stations, and if one random road in some mountain town looks intriguing enough to drive down, you go for it.

The question, by default, asked at the end of the trip is always..." So how was the drive?". In stark contrast to the trip North, where I had made plans for myself and the people around me while thinking taking care of my Father was going to be a far easier job than I let myself believe. There were less pictures on this trip, more meandering. Found myself, in a fog, literally in the mountains in Virginia, drove through a town that had been devastated by a recent tornado, and drove through Johnson City, Tennessee JUST so I could play Old Crow Medicine Show's song Wagon Wheel and blast it through the streets. I visited friends and family for only hours at a time...I was ready to go home.


You cannot imagine what you are walking into if you do not allow yourself to explore all dimensions of possibility. No where in the forefront of my mind did I actually allow myself to believe he was going to die; maybe that was the best defense mechanism I could conjure. That was how I could help everyone else get through this. All the while deflecting the truth I already knew. But, no. This was unfathomable to me as I traced the coastline with my camera lens and nomadic heart heading North. Headed home.


And in the quickest of moments, I was there. Three months past, vacillating between the feeling of being home for 5 years and 5 days. There was no presence of time. It all stood still, the world stopped spinning. There are things, even now I must be reminded of because I somehow blocked them out; stored in a safety deposit box with no key. The ideas and plans I had for myself and my family quickly disintegrated to wishful thoughts. Never a more sobering experience than this one. The inexplicable realization of the truth had never come at the hand of such a cruelty, taken is the man we love so much. And sooner than we anticipated. Then, it was time to drive home....again.



The roads back to Charleston were laced with a palpable uncertainty. There was little I could do to cease the relentless thoughts that I knew what I was going home to. I did not know anymore. The world felt off kilter, slower and a tad gray as I drove out of my home state. I felt lost, even with my trusty tools allowing my safe arrival home. I wondered where my grief would ma

nifest itself. What form would it take? Would I cling to the plaid t-shirt of his that I packed along with me, would I deflect and run into the arms of someone who knew nothing about me? W

ould I squeeze out every ounce of love I held fo

r myself? Where would this grief go?

I think even the subconscious is surprised by the resilience of the heart. Its boundaries are vast and blurred by one's capacity for love. And as much room was left for grief there was double that amount for the love. I took home the hearts of every.singl

e.person who knew him

, thought of him, loved him, and wanted us all to be alright. I carried home my sister, my stepmother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends; they were with me, they paved the Rhode. It was impossible to leave without them....

And so, the title, The Rhode Home, signifies what I left with. I brought a piece of Rhode Island back with me. The kind of security I needed to know I was not alone.


Since my return, I have found myself cradled by the ocean's tide. I am rocked slowly into a state of mind that makes him real still. Where I hear the faint sounds of John Coltrane dancing with the waves and his voice humming an unknown tune, we walk the beach together, always. This is where I find him, searching for beach glass. I am most at home by the sea. Next to him. And as long as the beach has the sea, he will never leave.


Welcome home.




Thank you Val, Liz, Erik, and Marea for your hours of love and patience with a vagabond friend. And thank you Mom, Papa, Syd, Vito, Justin, Janna, and Kevin for the necessary laughter on a night I needed it most...

And there are not enough words in the dictionary for the love I have for Carla, my amazingly beautiful and wise Stepmother. Who has single-handedly changed my life in 3 months time. I love you so much.


Erica, my unwaveringly strong sister, Never in any stretch of the imagination could I have made it through this without you. You are the truest testament for what it means to be strong and carry the weight of a life unable to be paused as mine was, and still persevere and still be able to find love. You are deserving of everything you have ever asked for and more. I love you bigger than the sky and miss you more than I will ever be able to describe. Thank you for being there for me.


...and yes I took that shirt you were looking for. Sorry. hehe.

7 comments:

  1. You such a way with words. I am glad you made it back, I am sorry for your loss, and want you to know that you were missed, even if we don't talk/see each other as much as we once did. Sometimes REALLY wish I could join you as you travel down this winding road in your life; other times it seems it maybe better to watch you go and hope you know some one is here for if you ever need them. You truly a Blessed One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are mine and I am yours
    I don't know how it happened
    but I know there's more where that came from
    somehow I knew it would be this way before
    I ever laid eyes on you. And now you know too.
    That you are mine and I am yours.
    And that's all there is to it.
    butterfly kisses all over your face,
    carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome.

    Also, we now know that I can, in fact, lead the Thriller dance.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written Ashley!
    I'm passing on what a friend once told me....."There is no way to have a rainbow without rain.  We can’t feel joy if we never experience sorrow. We can’t separate experience and take out only the part that doesn’t hurt us." -unknown
    <3 mjm

    ReplyDelete
  5. My beautiful brave one, who is even more alive than the other parts of her can fathom. Everywhere, every time, you keep making beauty out of the muck. Just like he did. One heart. All one heart. All one. I think of you everyday when I take a deep breath, hold it for just a moment in my heart, and then exhale.
    Love,
    Auntie Chi

    ReplyDelete
  6. ash, you are beautiful beyond any words i know :) i love you so much. i miss you and charleston. thank you for sharing your thoughts and heart so openly here on your blog. love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, you are the strong one just like he was. He always gave me strength, he always made me laugh, you have that same gift. You are in my thoughts every day and I miss you so think of Those we hold in our arms for a little while we hold in our hearts forever. He will never truly be gone, he is always with me, always by the sea.
    Love You Always Auntie BP

    ReplyDelete