Thursday, July 29, 2010

Katie and Dan.

Charleston, SC

The song says "'L' is for the way you look at me", and it goes on to serenade us all, telling a tale of love while we listen to the unmistakable sound of Nat King Cole's voice. If you're like me, you might subconsciously start swaying to the music while sitting in your chair, or turn the volume up and dance around your kitchen waiting to get to "V", something very very extraordinary. The song may have its own meaning for everyone( just like love). But at the end of the day, young or
old, rich or poor, L stands for LOVE.


The greatly anticipated wedding of Katie and Dan had arrived. I say greatly anticipated because I have known Katie for 2 years, I am not alone in the statement that she is one of the most genuine people I have ever come to know. And to be apart of, let alone photograph, their wedding, engagement and her bridal shots was quite an honor to say the least. When you spend 12 hours of your work day with someone, you find a kinship of sorts in different parts of life. We have, without fail, always managed to make each other laugh right when the other needed it most. A few weeks after their engagement was announced I was able to photograph them both on Pawley's Island. Cue first road trip with the soon-to-be married couple. Dan expertly tour guided the entire drive to Pawley's, I loved every second of it. I always appreciate someone who plays good music on long car rides, Dan is a musician so I had no worries there. I also found out how much Dan loved to have his picture taken. Not a bad trait to have when you're the photographer. We spent the weekend there as friends, I just happen to be following them around paparazzi-style; I had a inside glance as to how they are as a couple. Spontaneous and irresistibly beautiful.





Months went by and the time for bridal portraits came around... Katie and I had a blast. We invaded the Mills House and Hiberniam Hall, both of which exuded a kind of elegance that Katie had been looking for. And of course, Katie would not be Katie if she didn't have a little twist to go along with her photo shoot. I expected nothing less than cowboy boots to be underneath her wedding dress. That may be one of my favorite photo shoots to date.




















The night of the Rehearsal Dinner brought everyone together, all who would attend the wedding were invited. Dixieland Jazz held center stage and had everyone tapping their foot the whole night. Thankfully, I was able to photograph the evening with Witt Lacy from Wingman Media Group. Slideshows and speeches were made, each with unquestionable care and love. I have always found rehearsal dinners to be one of first eye opening experiences for the bride and groom. What people say, who says it, how it is said, and all the little details that have come together are met with an overwhelming feeling of how much they are loved. It eases the mind slightly, a breath of fresh air can be taken, the world stops spinning at an alarming rate, even if just for a few hours, and nothing else on earth could matter more than being surrounded by people who have come to see YOU.






The day of the wedding came and the Aquarium was ready and waiting. over 175 people attended, standing room only in the back. The wonderful thing about being the photographer for your friends wedding is, you get a front row seat to the event, I felt like I had high security clearance to the entire DAY. And by sunset that evening, with the backdrop of the Charleston harbor and Ravenel bridge, complete with sailboat serenely floating by, the were married. I thought of all the days that have lead up to this one, some felt cyclic and chaotic, and others productive and silly, 10 different things checked off the "to-do" list; sighs of relief, tears of joy all boiled down to one very important life defining fact that no one else can argue, Dan and Katie are Husband and Wife.

The reception yielded a packed dance floor, a cheeseburger cake, sparklers, and a send off via moped into the night. It in every way accented their personalities, which a wedding should, but few achieve. The smiles on their faces were proof enough this was their day, their night, and it only begins from here. I once again found myself photographing alongside Tomme Hilton, less jitters this time, more excitement and thankful that after three weddings and many conversations together, I can call her my friend.

This wedding was all about friends. Friends that came from as far away as California to attend the wedding, who pinned up her veil, dabbed away tears, designed the flowers and bouquets and boutineers, who stood up for them at the alter, DANCED with them, make silly videos to watch on their honeymoon. One of a kind friends. And as clued in to their friends happiness as Katie and Dan were, it was apparent to how much love was felt by each others family. I have a soft spot for fathers, I will always tear up when Dads walk their daughters down the aisle and when Mothers hug their sons. It's inevitable, camera or not. When it was all over and the crowds dissipated and the sparklers fizzled out, the end conclusion was actually the beginning for them. Riding off into a life that I have no doubt will be wonderfully adventurous and entertaining, as life, and love should be.



BIG love to my friends Katie and Dan. Congratulations and I wish many MANY years of happiness for you both.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos and writing as always! And you just made me download "LOVE", hadn't heard that song in way too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that second bridal shot is FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete